This page describes how Forseti is built, and how the components of Forseti fit
Forseti gives you tools to understand all the resources you have in Google Cloud
Platform (GCP). The core Forseti modules work together to provide complete
information so you can take action action to secure resources and minimize
- Inventory regularly collects data from your GCP resources and makes it
available to other modules.
- Scanner periodically compares your rules about GCP resource policies against
the policies collected by Inventory, and saves the output for your review.
- Enforcer uses Google Cloud APIs to change resource policy state to match the
state you define.
- Notifier keeps you up to date about Forseti findings and actions.
- Explain helps you understand, test, and develop Cloud Identity and Access
Management (Cloud IAM) policies.
The image below shows how data flows through Forseti
- Inventory collects information about your GCP resources and G Suite.
- Inventory stores information in Cloud SQL for your review and use by other
- Scanner compares the data collected by Inventory to the policy rules you
- Notifier sends Scanner & Inventory results to one or more of the following channels you
configure: Cloud Storage, SendGrid, and Slack.
- You use Explain to query and understand your Cloud IAM policies.
- Enforcer uses Google Cloud APIs to make sure policies match your desired
- You use the command-line interface to query Forseti data using gRPC.
- You use Data Studio or MySQL Workbench to visualize the Forseti data stored
in Cloud SQL.